Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thought s about trying Organic and weeds

This picture is from 10 days ago where my son and I are trying to pluck all the little weeds. However, today there was no brown dirt to be seen.

I just came in from trying to reclaim my garden (too embarrassed to show pictures).
I am now convinced that weeds grow at least twice the speed of any planted seed.
With all the talk about 'going organic' it crossed my mind to maybe try keeping my garden organic but after having to till my garden just to find items I planted (losing precious soil moisture)-- I think I'm going to rely on using some glyphosphate--otherwise I will not have any produce.
Now, I'm sure that some organic people will ask "why did you let your weeds get so tall?" My first response is "I have a life besides trying to raise food". And it has been raining and raining (which is good) - but it makes it really challenging to weed in the mud.
I planted a garden mainly to make sure my kids understand how food grows - but most importantly how much work goes into raising food. A garden is kinda like an animal - it most be cared for daily--if it goes ignored-- the weeds get out of control. That is a pretty good description of what is going on in one of the public debates. The agriculture industry has been so busy at feeding the world (and doing it more effeciently, because so many have moved off the land for easier and higher paying jobs in the cities) and trying to make a living over the last decade that we didn't realize that other (non-ag) people were telling the story of growing food and taking care of the land and animals. So now we have a population where the weeds (non-aggies and AR type)have been getting the focus instead of the planted seed (farmers).
However, I am excited to see that Ohio has stepped up and said 'enough is enough' it is time to tell our story and let the truth be told about the weeds. See more here.
I hope that everyone is trying to tell their story to any non-aggie they come across. One person at a time - will make a difference.
Who have you reminded today that food comes from farmers not the grocery store?

No comments: